Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I study with Australian Training School Pty Ltd?
At ATS, you will learn from friendly, supportive, industry-trained and experienced trainers – people who know the industry for which you have chosen to gain qualification and who are committed to your success. Courses are based on practical, hands-on training. We are focussed on providing tailored learning to suit individual participant’s needs.

I’m a school leaver/I have no qualifications. Am I eligible to study with ATS?
Yes, you are still eligible to study with Australian Training School. We advise that basic computer, language and literacy skills are required to complete some of our courses. These skills include keyboard familiarization, turning a computer on and off and navigation skills to locate and open programs and files.

Is ATS a Registered Training Organisation (RTO)?
Yes we are an RTO. Our national provider number is: 31595.

Will my qualification be nationally recognised?
Yes. If you are completing a statement of attainment or full certificate course your qualification will be Nationally Recognised.

How do I enrol and is there an enrolment closing date?
Enrolment forms can be found online under each course title and are submitted electronically. Alternatively, you can call or email our office to have an enrolment form emailed or posted to you. As ATS offers rolling starts for Certificates and Diplomas, there are no closing dates for enrolments.

Can I do more than one course at a time?
Students are able to undertake more than one qualification at a time. However, this won’t suit everyone and time must be managed carefully. You should discuss this with the Training Manager before you enrol.

How long will my course take?
Most people can complete a Certificate level qualification in approximately 12 months; however, you can take more or less time depending on your circumstances.

Can I gain academic credit for recognition of previous study?
Yes, Australian Training School recognises qualifications from other RTO’s. Application for mutual recognition of qualifications must be made in writing, together with evidence of completion of units of competency. Australian Training School will determine an outcome for recognition within 14 days of receipt of application.

Can I get recognition for previous study or experience?
Yes you can. Australian Training School’s policy is to provide what is known at RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning). RPL is an assessment process that allows for recognition of competencies currently held, regardless of how, when or where the learning occurred. RPL assesses your prior learning to determine the extent to which you are currently competent against the competency requirements of the units or a whole qualification or course.
The learning includes knowledge and skills that you may have acquired by the following:

  1. Previous study (includes courses at school, through adult education classes or work based training)
  2. Work experience both paid and unpaid
  3. Life experiences such as leisure activities or any voluntary work

How do I apply for RPL?
You will need to contact our office to discuss this application process.

I have work or other commitments. What if I don’t have much time to study?
It is possible for students to undertake their qualification part time. This means that the course will run for 24 months instead of the 12 months for full time study.

What if I need to stop studying for a while due to other commitments?
You should contact your trainer notifying them of your commitments and arrange to have assessments handed in at a later time. You may be required to complete a form to defer from studies for a period of time.

What do my fees cover?
Your fees cover: your enrolment fee; administration fee; and all workbooks and computer disks required to complete your qualification. Enrolment and administration fees are non-refundable.

How do I pay for my course?
We accept a range of payment methods:

  • Visa, MasterCard
  • Cheque
  • Direct Deposit
  • Cash
  • Ezi Debit Payment Plan

Is there any financial assistance/government grant I can apply for?
People that are eligible for certain Centrelink payments may be entitled to the Education Entry Payment. The Education Entry Payment is a once off payment of $208. Please contact Centrelink or visit their website for further information.

Traineeships, The Federal Government funds the existing or new entrant traineeship of $4000 per eligible trainee which is paid to the employer.  This is paid over two instalments:

  • $1500 on commencement
  • $2500 on completion

You may be eligible to complete a traineeship if you meet the following criteria:

  • Must be aged between 15 and 64
  • Employed either full time or part time for a minimum of 15 hours per week
  • Australian or New Zealand citizens or persons holding either a permanent residency, spousal or temporary protection visa
  • Do not hold a degree or diploma

What kind of resources do I need?
If you are completing any units that are computer based you will need to have access to a computer in order to complete assessment tasks.

How do I create a Unique Student Identifier (USI)?

Each student needs to set up their own USI. Here’s a tutorial from the Australian Government USI Website to take you through the steps.

What kind of student support is available?
If students need help with their course work, they can email their queries to our office; phone us and speak directly with a trainer.

When will I receive my Diploma/Certificate?
You will receive your qualification once all completed assessment material have been submitted and marked as competent. All outstanding course fees must be paid before issuance of the qualification.

Can my qualification help if I want to go to university in the future?
It is possible for your qualification to reduce the amount of time spent at university and also to help gain entry. Entry requirements vary from university to university and from degree to degree so you will need to contact the university to discuss the matter with them.

Can my qualification help me to get a job/promotion?
Yes it can as our courses are nationally recognised qualifications. Also, achieving a qualification proves to employers that you’re self- motivated and can manage time effectively – both highly desirable traits.  All full qualifications contain Employability Skills. Employability Skills apply across a variety of jobs and life contexts and are defined as “skills required not only to gain employment, but also to progress within an enterprise so as to achieve one’s potential and contribute successfully to enterprise strategic directions”.

There are eight Employability Skills: communication, teamwork, problem solving, initiative and enterprise, planning and organising, self-management, learning, and technology.  These skills are transferrable between industries.

For More Information
If you require more information or wish to discuss the information found on this page, please contact our office.

Phone: 1300 852 205
Postal: PO Box A819, Sydney South NSW 1235